The Freedom Chronicles

This is the place where magic happens.

Friday, December 15, 2006

There's no such thing as a jinx!

Fellow Niner faithful Dan Hagen and I have watched countless Niner games throughout the season, and not a single one has resulted in a victory. The last three weeks we got together to watch the Niners fall to the Rams, the Saints, and then worst of all the Green Bay Packers. We insisted this was just a string of bad playing by the Niners and had nothing to do with us watching the games together.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

BUT THEN LAST NIGHT while I was at home and Dan was at his office party, the unthinkable happened.

THE NINERS WON!

No. not just won, DISEMBOWELED the Seahawks.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So now it begs the question...Are Dan and I cursed? When we unite in Niner-fandom does it somehow become such a powerful force that it sucks the greatness out of the former TEAM OF THE CENTURY? Is this possible?

I don't believe in curses, but I'll let the season speak for itself. The following is the years schedule thus far, and every game in which Dan and I were together or not together. Look what happened.

Pre-Season -
Game 1 - Bears - Dan and I not together - WIN!
Game 2 - Raiders - Together on my birthday, Dan and I went to the game - LOSS (and near fatal stabbing)
Game 3 - Dallas - Together - LOSS
Game 4 - Chargers - Went to the game with cousin Jimmy - WIN!

Regular Season -
Game 1 - Arizona - Together - LOSS
Game 2 - Rams - I was in Colorado, Dan in Tahoe - WIN!!!
Game 3 - Eagles - Together at the Englander - LOSS (and we should have had a safety...)

Then I went to Maryland and Hawaii for a few weeks and in that time we played the Raiders again AND WE WON!
Then I came back

Game 10 - Seahwaks - I was at home, Dan at home - WON!
Game 11 - Rams - Together at stadium pub - LOSS!!! (4th and fucking inches Nolan!)
Game 12 - Saints - Together in Tahoe - LOSS!!!
Game 13 - Packers???? Together - LOSS!!!!
Game 14 - Seahwaks - I was at home, Dan at office party - WIN!!! Disembowelment!!!

I have known Dan for a few years now, and in that time we have watched several games together, and upon reflection, we lost all of those too!!! WTF!!!!! Dan and I have never seen a 49er victory together! EVER! Curse or not, those are the cold hard facts. Our team does not win when we are in the presence of each other. It's total bullshit!

Oh well. Dan and I have vowed to not watch the last two Niner games of the season together in the hopes they might win and by some miracle make the playoffs. In which case Dan and I will go nuts and watch the playoffs together.

Jinx be damned!

1 Comments:

  • At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's a terrible thing to think about, but on PAPER, just down right depressing!!

    Who's next Arizona....

    WE WILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!! ALWAYS FIGHTING & ALWAYS EXCITING!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home